Howto get from the UK to Spain and avoid human Quarantine

Howto get from the UK to Spain and avoid human Quarantine


Misty in Sapin Today I am going to go through some of the things you need to think about before you even consider taking your Humans abroad. It is very important to do as much research before you go and even more if you are going through more than one country in Europe.

Yogi Misty you have got it the wrong way around the Humans have to make sure that we are fit to travel. Humans dont need any jabs or things like that to go to most places in Europe. We do need our Pet passports and a health cert.

Misty in Sapin Yes I know that but we still have to make sure that they have what they need you know what they are like. We have to make sure they have the correct documents for travel aswell and that they have the car ready for a long trip. I have put together some infomation that will help although it is just a limited guide and as we are to go on Euro Star then things might be different for ferrys or Flying.

Pet TravelIn 1999 the Pet Travel Scheme (with the acronym of PETS ) largely replaced the 100 year-old quarantine system for pet cats, dogs and ferrets entering into the United Kingdom. Currently pet rabbits and rodents coming from other EU countries are exempted. The countries and territories from which animals may travel under PETS are:Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Iceland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, San Marino, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and Vatican City.Entry Into SpainStandard house pets are usually not problematic to import into Spain as long as they are accompanied by their owners or an agent, are micro chipped, have a valid health record that indicates that they are in good health (this health certificate has a validity of ten days only.) Officials are particularly concerned that their vaccinations are up-to-date and the certificate must show that the pet has had a valid anti-rabies inoculation in the last twelve months.Certificates should be obtained from the nearest Animal Health Divisional Office in England. A full list of these offices is available by calling:AHD            + 44 (0) 845 933 5577        or visiting: animals such as birds, monkeys and other species will need a certificate stating that there has been no local outbreak of disease that would affect the species for the last 60 days. It is best to contact your local Consulate to confirm any change in the legalities.Owners planning to take their pets back to the UK should be aware of the complexities of the Pet Travel Scheme.Re-entry Into The UKPet owners must arrange for their animal to have a microchip implanted in their animal to give permanent proof of its identity. This can be taken care of with your vet.Microchips store the vaccination history of each animal and allow government officials, transport companies and foreign veterinarians to have an immediate understanding of each animal’s medical history.Most microchips meet the International Standards Organisation’s criteria, however if your microchip is different you must supply a reader.All vaccinations must occur AFTER the insertion of the microchip, even if this means double vaccinations. The rabies vaccine must be given to the animal and after thirty days a blood test must be performed to assure that the shot has taken affect.You must check with your veterinarian to arrange a blood test that meets the DEFRA standards. Pets that reside outside the UK or Ireland are required to wait six months after a successful blood test result before entering the UK.Finally, and most importantly, pets must be treated by a certified vet for tapeworm and ticks between 24 and 48 hours prior to return to the UK.If you have a query about taking an animal into the UK contact: Defra’s International Animal Health Division             +44 (0) 207 904 6415 Taking your dog or cat to Europe by ferry or Eurotunnel? The following information about for pet travel to France, Belgium, the Netherlands or Spain. You must ensure your animal has all the necessary papers, vaccinations and inoculations. Information on the Pets’ Travel Scheme can be accessed via

See notes below for more information. Cost UK TO EUROPE GBP MINIMUM CHECK-IN Cost EUROPE TO UK GBP CHECK-IN
P&O FERRIES (Dover-Calais) 15.00 1 Hr 15.00 1Hr
P&O FERRIES (Hull-Zeebrugge) 15.00 2 Hrs 15.00 3 Hrs
P&O FERRIES (Hull-Rotterdam) 15.00 2 Hrs 15.00 3 Hrs
NORFOLKINE (Dover-Dunkerque) FREE 1 Hr 20.00 1 Hr
BRITTANY FERRIES (Portsmouth-Caen) 10.00 1 Hrs 20.00 1 Hrs
BRITTANY FERRIES (Poole-Cherbourg) 10.00 1 Hrs 20.00 1 Hrs
BRITTANY FERRIES (Plymouth-Roscoff) 10.00 1 Hrs 20.00 1 Hrs
BRITTANY FERRIES (Portsmouth-St-Malo) 10.00 1 Hrs 20.00 1 Hrs
BRITTANY FERRIES (Plymouth-Santander) 25.00 1 Hrs 25.00 1 Hrs
STENA LINE (All routes) 7.00 1 Hr 7.00 1 Hr
DFDS SEAWAYS (Newcastle-Amsterdam) 30.00 1 Hrs 30.00 1 Hrs
DFDS SEAWAYS (Newcastle-Bergen Stavanger Haugesund) NO PETS NO PETS NO PETS NO PETS

P&O Ferries from Dover
Pets must remain in the vehicle during the crossings. Owners do not have access to their pets during the crossing.
Brittany Ferries
Pets must remain in the vehicle during the crossings to France. Owners may see their pets during the crossing, but must be accompanied by a member of staff. On the Plymouth Santander crossing kennels are provided together with a walking area which can be accessed throughout the crossing.
Stena Line
You can choose for your pet to travel in your car or in a kennel aboard the ship. Guide dogs are allowed to travel on the passenger decks with their owners.
P&O Ferries from Hull
Pets are accommodated in the on board kennels. Owners may see their pets during the crossing.

The animal must stay in the vehicle at all times throughout the crossing. It is your responsibility to provide all necessary documents and make all arrangements, including where necessary quarantine, to satisfy all legal requirements. Failure to do so will prevent your pet from being permitted to travel.Eurotunnel informationUsing Eurotunnel is so easy – just drive on and stay with your vehicle in brightly-lit, air-conditioned carriages. You can walk around inside the shuttle and toilets are available. Tune-in to Eurotunnel Radio (95.6 or 99.8FM) for news and music, and visual display screens keep you informed about your journey. Staff are available to answer any questions. Customs are cleared before boarding so you drive straight off and away when you arrive. And there are some fantastic bargains on offer.  The shuttle runs four times an hour at peak periods. The platform to platform time is about 35 minutes and loading and unloading is quick and easy. As you drive down the M20 towards Folkestone and Dover the slip road to the terminal is clearly sign-posted. This is the quickest way to get your car to France, but, unless you like tunnels and trains, perhaps the least exciting. But you won’t get seasick!Minimum check-in time 30 minutes (1 hour when travelling with a pet), but there is a wide range of shops and restaurants at the terminals, so leave some time to take advantage of these.Off Peak Summer Rates: You will save about 20% off normal summer (May-September) rates if you travel Folkestone to Calais between 2.00pm and 6.00am, or Calais to Folkestone between midnight and 2.00pm. These discounts are automatically applied when you book Eurotunnel online.Ticket Flexibility: Although you are booked on a specific departure, your ticket will be valid for up to 6 days either side of the booked date. However, the trains are often full, so you run the risk of a long delay if you don’t turn up for your scheduled crossing. BUT if your ticket is for a less than 5 days break or is for the off-peak times referred to above, and you turn up outside those times or dates, you will be asked to pay a supplement at full public rates. Note also that during the peak summer months weekend travel is dearer than weekday, so if you have a weekday ticket and turn up at the weekend you will again be asked to pay a supplement.LPG: Please note that you cannot use Eurotunnel if your vehicle is propelled by Liquid Petroleum Gas (LPG). This not the same as LRP (Lead Replacement Petrol), which is perfectly acceptable.

Points Plus: If you are a member of the Eurotunnel Frequent Traveller Points Plus programme the more you travel the more you save! You can apply online. Make sure you Drive Alive! Drive on the right!·         Be especially careful when setting off from service stations or restaurants on the left side of the road. ·         Take care when overtaking – allow more space between you and the car in front so you can see further down the road ahead. ·         Spain has strict drink driving laws, only allowing 0.5 milligrams of alcohol per millilitre of blood – stricter than the UK where the limit is 0.8. New drivers are effectively forbidden to drink and drive, with a very low 0.1 mg/l limit. ·         Seat belts front and rear are obligatory everywhere. ·         Speed limits, shown below, are implemented rigorously. Radar traps are frequent. ·         Remember – Speeding and other traffic offences are subject to on-the-spot fines. In all countries a full UK driving licence is required. As in the UK, seat belts should be worn front and rear. Below are motoring regulations relating to Spain.Beware in Spain.The law operating in Spain regarding the use of indicators on motorways is being strictly enforced. You risk being fined for not indicating before overtaking and again before pulling back to the nearside lane after overtaking. Also, ensure you do not cross the solid white line as you enter the motorway from a slip road, but wait until the line is broken.

Speed limits Motorway Open Road Town Alcohol mg/ml
Spain 120 km/h 90-100 km/h 50 km/h 0.5

Bail Bond: a guarantee to be lodged with the police in the event of an accident or major traffic violation – no longer a legal requirement for Spain and most insurance companies have stopped issuing them.

Children in cars: Children under 12 cannot travel in the front unless using a suitably adapted restraint system. In the rear, passengers under 135cm tall must use specially adapted safety devices and restraints.

Documentation: always carry your driving licence, vehicle registration document (V5), and certificate of motor insurance. If your licence does not incorporate a photograph ensure you carry your passport to validate the licence. If the vehicle is not registered in your name, carry a letter from the registered owner giving you permission to drive.

Drinking and driving: Don’t do it. Over 0.05 per cent and you could face anything from a severe fine, withdrawal of your licence, up to imprisonment.Fines: On the spot fines are issued. Ensure an official receipt is issued by the officer collecting the fine.

First-aid kit is advised, but not compulsory.

Fuel: All grades of unleaded petrol (benzin), diesel (gasoleo ‘A’) and LPG are available as well as lead substitute additive. Leaded no longer exists. It is allowed to carry petrol in a can. Credit and debit cards are widely accepted, although they probably won’t work at automatic pumps, which are often the only pumps open out-of-hours and at lunch-time (from noon to 3pm) away from the Autoroutes. It’s a good idea to let your card issuer know you will be travelling abroad. This ensures they don’t suspend your card if they spot it being used in unfamiliar places, which they sometimes do as an anti-fraud measure.

GB sticker: UK registered vehicles displaying Euro-plates (circle of 12 stars above the national identifier on blue background) no longer need a GB sticker  when driving in European Union countries.

Glasses (Spectacles): wearers must carry a spare pair in the car at all times.

Headlamp converters are compulsory.

Lights: dipped headlights should be used in poor daytime visibility. Motorcycles must use dipped headlights during the day at all times.

Minimum age for driving, provided you hold a full UK licence, is 18 for a car and for a motorcycle over 75cc. If you’ve got an old-style all-green licence you might find the police will not understand them, so either get them up-dated or take an International Driving Permit as well.Motorcycle drivers and passengers must wear crash helmets.Motor insurance: third-party insurance is compulsory. A green card is not required but your insurer should be advised of your trip.

Replacement bulb set is compulsory.

Seat belts are compulsory for front and rear seat occupants, if fitted.

Snow chains are recommended to be carried in the Spanish Pyrenees and all mountainous regions of Spain during winter, and if you do not carry and fit them when conditions demand the police can prevent you continuing your journey.

Visibility Vests are now compulsory in Spain. They are also compulsory in Austria, Belgium, Italy, and Norway and (and likely to become compulsory throughout the EU). The rules vary from country to country concerning number of vests required and whether they should be carried in the car or boot. Common sense suggests that there should be a vest for every occupant, and that the vests should be carried in the car. Do this and you will not have a problem.

Warning triangle is compulsory. One only is required for non-Spanish registered vehicles. Two required for Spanish vehicles, but to avoid difficulties with the police we recommend two triangles should be carried.

Yogi Did not know their was so much to sort out. Quite a good guide Misty but this is just a guide regulations change all the time so it is best to checkout all these things before you go. And Misty did you read the bit about what dogs need to go too and from Spain, has a penny droped yet? I said it was one way, we only have the Pet Passport for a trip out to Spain not back at least for 6 months.

Misty in Sapin That is a holiday what is six months?


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *